Tuesday, September 17, 2013

TWD -- Expresso Profiteroles without the Profiteroles

Espresso Profiteroles without the Profiteroles
After reading the recipe for the Espresso Profiteroles for this week's Baking with Julia assignment, I decided to do two-thirds of the recipe and leave off the cream puffs. I had been wanting to try custard-based ice cream in my new Cuisinart ice cream maker, and the chocolate sauce sounded good after reading the ingredient list. I couldn't picture my husband and I eating all those profiteroles, but I could see us devouring the ice cream and chocolate sauce.

I doubled the ice cream recipe and I'm glad I did. Otherwise, I would have had way too much sauce. I thought the ice cream was wonderful, although I'll admit I upped the sugar a little bit. Unfortunately, we can't buy vanilla beans in our small town, so I made do by putting two teaspoons of vanilla ice cream in the mix. I wish I had added more.

The sauce was good but grainy. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Once it had cooled, I tried reheating it in the microwave, but found this method unsatisfactory. My best results were when I reheated the mixture in a double boiler. I would make the ice cream again, but I'm not sure about the sauce.

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I love how you left out the profiteroles!
    I liked the sauce but left out making my own ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up with way more puffs than two of us could eat - so not a bad idea to go straight for the good stuff (the ice cream...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I ate 9 shells between the two of us and I still have over a dozen left!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed the ice cream! I have been having a lot of fun with my Cuisinart ice cream maker - love it! I highly recommend the ice cream book "The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz - fabulous recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, profiteroles sans profiteroles. :-) I did a different filling and sauce.

    ReplyDelete