Tuesday, May 21, 2013

TWD -- Brioche pockets to die for

Baked pockets ready to eat
I have a confession to make. I didn't use the brioche recipe in Baking with Julia. It looked like a heap of dough, so I debated cutting the recipe in half or consulting "Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads." If you are a break-baking enthusiast, this book is a bible and one that should be on your shelf. Clayton has a food processor brioche recipe that makes about half as much brioche as the Baking with Julia formula and is easy as pie to make.

1/4 cup warm water
1 package dry yeast
1 1/4 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
6 tablespoons butter, melted. 
Proof the yeast in the water. Put everything in the food processor with the steel blade except the eggs and butter. Pulse a couple of times to aerate. Drop in first the eggs and process about 5 seconds. Then pour the melted butter through the feed tube in a steady stream. Process 20 seconds. The dough is sticky, like batter, but that's OK. Scape dough in a buttered bowl and let rise about 3 hours. Then refrigerate.


From here on out, I followed the Baking with Julia recipe. I found the dough easy to work with and used a hamburger press to cut my rounds.

Brioche before seeding and baking

I stretched the top rounds a bit before placing them over the filling. The edges were easy to turn over and crimp. I did use the full filling recipe and if I had not, the pockets would have been scantily filled.

My version made eight pockets -- perfect for a back yard drinks party. Everyone loved the combination of the brioche dough, the caramelized onions, the potatoes, goat cheese and asparagus. I will definitely make this recipe again!

6 comments:

  1. These do sound delicious! I'm hoping to bake these this week. Can't wait! I've never made brioche dough (that I recall) so I will be using the Julia recipe - but from reading other posts it sounds like it is a bit finicky. I'll keep this recipe in mind for the future. Glad you liked them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clayton's book is one of my favorites - its the most dog-eared book in my collection. Will have to try his brioche.

    Your pockets look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am putting Clayton's book on my wish list! Thanks for the information. My brioche sent a death knell on my Kitchen Aid -- lots of excitement, at least for a few minutes! http://praycookblog.com/2013/05/20/the-brioche-that-killed-my-kitchen-aid/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pockets look great. That does look like a good recipe from Clayton. I need to look into this book. Thank you for sharing that. That's one of the things that I love about this group; people having favourite recipes from favourite books....and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought that book! I'll have to try it. This one was tough on the stand mixer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! I made mini pockets for an Eurovision party, and everyone loved them too.

    ReplyDelete