Tuesday, February 19, 2013

TWD -- Boca Negra, heaven on a plate!

A 6-inch cake slice using half the recipe
Oh my! How can anything so relatively easy to make be so delicious?  I think Boca Negra is my favorite recipe to date from the Baking with Julia cookbook.

I chose to use only half the recipe and bake the cake in a 6-inch pan since there are just two of us in our household. This worked great. And, bittersweet chocolate isn't available in our small town, so I substituted Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate. No problem.

I first made the white chocolate cream using the food processor. It took less than five minutes to accomplish, and I let this sit in the refrigerator over night.

The next day I mixed up the cake ingredients using the food processor. Again, this took all of about five minutes to accomplish. I wondered if the small amount of hot liquid comprised of bourbon and sugar would be enough to melt all that chocolate. No problem. The food processor accomplished this task without a problem. I then added the butter, eggs and flour and poured the mixture into a greased 6-inch cake pan, putting waxed paper on the bottom and greasing that with butter. Would this mixture stick without flouring the pan? I confess I worried about this during the 30 mintues the cake was baking. But, no problem. The cake easily slid out of the pan after running a knife around the edge. I then flipped it over onto a serving dish and let it cool about 20 minutes.

Then I cut into the cake, adding a generous dollop of the white chocoate cream. Heaven. I will make this dish again and again, particularly when we are entertaining. I shared some of the cake with friends and they loved it as well. This recipe will be hard to top!

7 comments:

  1. I really liked this too! I plan on making it for a family event soon! It was too easy to be so delicious. Kristine Mika

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thirty minutes didn´t work and I ended up with pudding cake. But I don´t complain since it was delicious. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was impressed with how easy the food processor made this come together - it's nice to know this can be halved with success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake looks delicious, and we are glad it worked out so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is a great cake!! The food processor I think helped a great deal. Would never try it by hand now that I see how well it worked with the food processor. I'll be making this again and again too. Such an over the top dessert...but so simple!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, this was so easy yet impressive. I made this for a group of 12, and everyone raved about it. Your cake looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The food processor was they way to go with this one. I agree this was pure heaven. A keeper!

    ReplyDelete