Tuesday, June 5, 2012

TWD--Oasis Naan

The Oasis Naan, the latest Tuesdays with Dorie assignment, was not at all what I expected. I have tasted naan once at an Indian restaurant, and I remembered it as being much like an Arabic flatbread; not puffy but relatively flat.

When I read through the ingredients I realized this was basically the formula for French bread. And mine ended up tasting like French bread and looking like French bread once it was cut.

I decided early on to cut the recipe in half, make one naan round and use the rest of the dough for focaccia. The dough was somewhat slack, so I folded it after one hour to help give it structure.

 I portioned the half recipe into fourths, patted one fourth into the five- to six-inch round, then poked away at the dough with the round end of my wire whisk. I wet the dough, added chopped scallion and cumin.

After baking the round for about five to six minutes at 500 degrees, I was surprised to see a puffy end product. After letting it cool, I sliced it, and the crumb was holey, much as a French baguette would be studded with holes. I tried some hummus on one slice, some pimento cheese on another. Both were yummy.

I patted the other three-fourths of the dough into a 9-inch pan, let it rise once, dimpled it with my fingers and poured some olive oil in the holes. I then sprinkled kocher salt and rosemary over the entire surface and baked the foccacia at 500 degrees for 13 minutes. I did not get the oven spring I got with the naan, and I reasoned that was because I let it rise before dimpling it. If I had it to do again, I would bake it after shaping as I did the naan. I am now going to research other recipes for naan and see if they differ from the one in Baking with Julia.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, your focaccia looks so good with the rosemary and everything! And your naan so cute and puffy :D I think maybe you were supposed to poke it with the bottom of the wire whisk rather than the circle on the handle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both your naans look lovely. I espeially like the focaccia. My naan puffed up too, but still it's a good recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely naan…great idea to make focaccia with the dough! It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great - this was very similar to a focaccia dough - I guess it's all in the handling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. some docking will bring down the puffiness and make it more like naan and less like french bread :)

    ReplyDelete